Friday, July 11, 2008

Parsley crested amphibian

He, who is fortunate enough to receive the visit of a toad in the garden, is blessed with an invaluable companion. I always rejoice in seeing them near me, though these adorable little creatures tend to wander about much, leaving the boundaries of my garden, exploring ça et là the countryside. It was therefore a stroke of luck when one of them found my garden pleasant enough to stay. He came last year and we have learned to tame each other since.
His name is Farfugium japonicum ‘Cristatum’. He comes from Japan and is a bit tender so I keep him in a pot that I can bring in the cool glasshouse in the winter months. I used to grow it in the ground in my garden in London and it survived well, but the frost inevitably damaged its leaves which took rather a long time to grow back in the spring. Now that I pamper it a little, it is always lush in leaf. It is a very easy friend to accommodate, I put him on the northeast side of my house where it gets the morning sunshine but escapes the afternoon glare and he seems to like it there. I make sure it gets a regular dose of water since, like all amphibians, it doesn't like to dry out completely. I feed him with seaweed extract from time to time but otherwise I leave it in peace and it rewards me by growing its large pinky grey crested leaves all year round.
I suspect my Farfugium has eaten far fewer slugs than its bouncy comrades (and spawned fewer eggs in the pond!) but he's different and that's why I love him so much.

No comments: